This week we used the metal lathe. I think the tool was a bit off when I used it as the there was a bit of metal that would not fully remove just off-center. Regardless of this, I found the metal lathe to be more relaxing than the wood lathe. I started off my project by attempting to smooth out the sides and prep them for a cleaner turn — I had some initial frustrations with the tool not fully smoothing out the bottom, but found a solution in the process (at least for one end). It tips a bit but definitely not bad for my first run!
I found that once I got a hang for the movement of the machine, all fell into place. Since we were limited to a ‘top-hat’ - like design I wanted to experiment with several steps and came out with the finalized design. I was aiming for NYC skyline — could easily be an interpretation of the Chrysler Building, but who really knows.
I’m looking forward to experimenting more with the metal lathe in the future with different metals and additional tools.